Saturday, August 8, 2009

Live & Laugh--or is it Laugh & Live?

So I woke up this a.m. with Rickey Smiley on my mind and had to have me a You Tube fix. If you aren’t familiar with Rickey, he is just the funniest entertainer I know. Perhaps because like me, Rickey grew up in the church and a lot of his humor is church related. And like me and so many of my friends and family, Rickey is a social activist. So, he is like one of the family.

What got me to thinking about Rickey is a phone conversation last night with my Uncle Bill. He is one funny guy. While I have that dry, rye sense of humor, Uncle Bill is more like Rickey. He will have you ROFL! Hadn’t talked to Bill in a month of Sundays, which is always a good barometer of how I’m feeling. If I’m down and out, Uncle Bill is like white on rice. Not just with me, but with the family in general. If you got it, he is off taken care of biz. Always busy. Not in an always on, 0 or 1, kinda way. More like, the early bird gets the worm. Or idle hands are the devil’s workshop.

Any who. Uncle Bill and I spent some time last night talking about who died and who hadn’t died. We discovered yesterday that someone we both thought had died some years back was still in the land of the living. Of course, I should have known this because I do not have an obituary for this person in my collection. The collection that includes obituaries I inherited from my mom, my grandma (Mama’s mom), my grandmother (Daddy’s mom), and my great-grandma (Mama’s grandma).

At a later date I will “talk” about the importance of a well written obituary. My Grandma Gray taught me. It is so important for the future generations; they should be an informative, concise historical record of a person’s life. Obituaries are wonderful for genealogical research.

So as I lay in bed last night, I chuckled about my Uncle Bill chat. I thought about Rickey, who makes me laugh talking about everyday life. And a thought about another funny man—Seinfeld, who became a mega zillionaire talking about nothing. Which is why I can spend hours talking to Uncle Bill. We talk about everyday, nothing stuff that I can laugh and smile about later that day, next week, next year. Not trying to solve the problems of the world. Not trying to educate. Just making memories that will last and last. Forever. Or at least until the Alzheimer’s catches up to us and our bad heart genes. But what Uncle Bill has taught me is that laughter is truly the best medicine and just when I need a giant dose, he is right there—right on time!

“The love of a family is life's greatest blessing.” ~ Anon

“Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.” ~ The Wonder Years

Rickey Smiley – Funeral Services (Funny Prank Call)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI19OioxmzA

Heart Disease Risk Factors Raise Risk Of Alzheimer’s Disease too

http://www.medindia.net/news/Heart-Disease-Risk-Factors-Raise-Risk-Of-Alzheimers-Disease-too-55898-1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment